Sunday, November 29, 2009

On Being Thankful

Well, now that Thanksgiving is past us and we're "straight on till morning" for Christmas, I've been reflecting on what I should be thankful for. It's hard sometimes to be thankful. It seems like over the past few years I've tolerated every idiot there is to tolerate on this planet. I've lost a lot; but I've gained a lot, too. I've had my heart ripped from my chest and spat upon; I've been harassed by what Harlan Ellison would call "arrogant stupidity"; I've been to the lowest spot I think I've ever been in my life, dear readers. But, even in the darkness, there were things to be thankful for. I've had great times with my children and friends; I've laid in the arms of a truly beautiful woman and felt a rare but, sadly, short-lived, moment of nirvana there; I've been more creative than probably any time in my life, and I have laughed. I filmed a low-budget movie - something I've ALWAYS wanted to do, and something I plan on doing again very, very soon. I've met and befriended some wonderfully eclectic peopled ("Better weird than plastic", I always say....and there are a lot of plastic people out there, my friends). So, I guess I'm just saying that I have much to be thankful for. I have my health (according to recent check-up) and I've fought some battles these past few years. I've won some; I've lost some. Some were ties, I think. I am thankful for all the people who have made my life a pleasure. Those who didn't....well, I'm not quite so thankful for them. But, I will not "go gently into that good night." I will rage, rage, against the dying of the light.

I hope everyone has a joyful holiday season.
Roger

No comments: