Saturday, April 19, 2008

Earthshaker

Yesterday morning, at approximately 4:30 a.m., we had a 5.4 earthquake rock southern Illinois. I was already up at the time, nursing an upset stomach. I walked into my little study (a converted walk-in closet) and my laserprinter was rattling. Then, I noticed that EVERYTHING was rattling. Fortunately, there was no severe damage. An aftershock went through the area later in the day at approximately 10:15 a.m. It was in the 4.~ range. Just a reminder that we had a fault line in the area. Many of us had forgotten (me included). Of course, in our paranoid times, the rumors that a nuclear explosion had gone off hit the internet within minutes. Someone claimed that a rogue military team from Scott Air Force Base (up closer to St. Louis) had ignited a nuclear weapon. Now, while I'm a firm believer in the old saying "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you", reality also has to play a part in your paranoia. A mushroom cloud would have been seen. Radiation would not have been far behind. I was a big fan of the now-cancelled tv series "Jericho" and I do believe there are factions in our society stupid enough it irradiate the world, I also hope we have sense enough to keep our nuclear weapons underwraps. Of course, that's a delusion on my part....we're stupid, they're stupid. That's why some confused moron can think he's going to Heaven by killing innocent people in the Twin Towers. Sure, I understand the symbolism of striking buildings that represented America's capitalism, but, really.....what did those people in the towers ever do to Allah? They were just living their lives, trying to survive. I sometimes wish we had a big boxing ring somewhere and the leaders of other countries would grow a spine and crawl in the ring together, duke it out. It makes more sense to me than sitting half the world away, hiding in a cave, sending a videotape of how you're going to create fear. It makes more sense that doing a "terror alert" scale to scare the people. We all want to feel safe, feel that our children are safe. Spreading fear and mistrust amongst ourselves is juvenile for a society capable of so much more than that. You don't like something another county is doing? Fine. Put on the gloves. I'm voting for Arnold when that happens.

But, I'm not holding my breath.

Besides, the New Madrid fault will suck us into the bowels of the Earth before it happens....thanks to a nuclear warhead's ignition, I'm sure.

No comments: