Friday, July 27, 2007

Two ships that pass in the night




Good evening. I hope everyone is home from work, kicking back and taking it easy. It's been a long week and you deserve a break. Take your shoes off. Have a drink. Watch some idiot box. The kids are watching SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS in the next room as I write this. It's been a long week. I'm glad the kids are here. My son Darrien practically cried when I picked him up from daycare yesterday. It was the first time he'd seen me in seven days (ain't divorce wonderful) and, as he ran to me with an expression of sheer joy on his face, I have to admit it - I was almost in tears myself. I dropped to one knee and opened my arms and he ran into them saying "I'm missed you, Daddy." Then, when our embrace was over, he ran to his cubbyhole (where his coat and things are kept) and produced two "boats". I use the word loosely because they were basically cereal boxes covered in paper and decorated, but they were done my my five-year-old and, as he handed them proudly to me, he said: "I made you some boats, Daddy." I gave him a big hug again and told him they were beautiful. It was a touching moment and one that'll stick in my head for a long, long time. Sometimes, I think the kids are the only thing that keep me going. They are certainly a panacea on a bad day. I love them both immensely and wish with all my heart that they were home with me fulltime inside of part-time. Sadly, the fucked-up legal system we have makes it too easy for people to leave each other. I still love my wife but there's nothing I can do about things; she's found someone else and jettisoned me like a booster rocket (which is, sadly, what I was). May she know shame the rest of her days for not meeting me halfway.

No comments: