Saturday, October 13, 2007

The fictive spirit continues





I meant to post an update on my fictional adventures these days. THE BIG MUDDY MONSTER film script is finished and in the can, so to speak. We just need to film it later this month. My mystery novel, BLEEDING HEARTS, is over 50,000 words now and I hope to finish it by year's end. Ditto with the other mystery I'm working on, MURDER AT PK'S. MURDER AT PK'S is, of course, set at PK's bar here in Carbondale, the second of a three volume "locally produced" book series I am writing. I go to the establishment, sit, and write. Simple enough. TALES FROM THE CELLAR, written at The Cellar, of course, was the first one. Sometime next year, I will begin work on the third volume. The location where it'll be written is still up in the air. I'm debating a few locales as we speak.

As anyone who can read my blog will note, the past year and a half have been rough on me. Most of the fiction I've written in that time has been either dark or deeply reflective. I just finished ALL SUMMER LONG, a book of poetry that I wrote over the summer, and a change took place during the writing of that book...I found a good woman. She has affected my writing and my heart. The last quarter of ALL SUMMER LONG is all about how I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I still see it. So, early next year, I will begin work writing a new book. This is a book that's been in my head for 25 years or so. It will be the tale of three estranged friends who come together again in a nursing home. Their families have left them there to die, and they will face their mortality and the reasons they parted ways many years ago. It will be dedicated to Stephanie because, without her beautiful heart for guidance, I would never have attempted the tale.

Thank you, Stephanie....you are the best.

Roger

No comments: