Monday, May 12, 2008

Allegiance, Love and Other Modern Myths




Been thinking about allegiance and love a lot lately. Seems they're both in short supply these days. Recently, a local musician I know had the displeasure of his wife leaving him. They were kinda like two peas in a pod, virtually inseparable, before this and it made me wonder...what the heck is going on? Doesn't anyone commit to someone else anymore? Don't they say "I love this person and I want to spend the rest of my days with them, being happy and making them happy?" It seems to me that people discard each other like used underwear these days. If you're not kissing arse well enough, they'll run off and leave you for someone who is. It makes me sad to think the world is such a cold, indifferent place. Allegiance is just another word. A word that means nothing when uttered. Or so it seems. Jeez, where is Mrs. Cleaver when you need her? These days, she's probably at the bar trying to get picked up. Not to worry, though....Mr. Cleaver's across town doing the same thing.

Guess equal opportunity still means something these days.

Just a thought. A bad one, probably, but a thought nonetheless.

No comments: