Wednesday, November 21, 2007

How to be thankful




Been thinking about Thanksgiving. Thanks and giving. Two words. Two words that mean a lot, I think. Stephanie texted me at work and asked me to meet her for a drink at 4:10. I sat across from her and said to myself "This is a great gal." So, I am truly thankful to be with her. She is a good woman. I believe that....and, trust me, I wouldn't say so if I didn't think so. I've had my heart stomped on and I'm a tad cynical still yet...but not about Stephanie. It's weird....I knew when I saw her pushing a stroller around that I would get to know her. Don't ask me how...I just did. I am thankful to have a woman who cares for me. I care for her, too. And, ultimately, at the end of the day, that's what really matters.

I am also thankful for my three children, all of whom I love dearly. Sometimes, it's difficult to realize that. But, Thanksgiving is (and should be) a day we pay thanks for what we HAVE, and not what we WANT.

I am thankful for what I have. I've been cynical about love for quite some time, but I am thankful for all those I do love. My father died at the ripe old age of 50. I'm 46 now. Trust me when I tell you I feel the hands of time scratching at my back. Love while you can, my friends. It's the only thing that truly matters.

Roger

No comments: