Thursday, January 31, 2008

Baby, it's cold outside


One of my all-time favorite musical performances from Saturday Night Live was Buster Poindexter (alter-ego of David Johannsen of the New York Dolls) crooning "Baby, it's cold outside" to Sigourney Weaver (whose underwear scene in ALIEN will stay with me till the day I go toes-up permanently). It was something that should have been released on one of Buster's albums, but wasn't. A Christmas song that dripped with suggestiveness and innuendo.

What got me thinking about that was the fact that it is, indeed, cold outside. A winter storm is falling on southern Illinois as I type this. School is out for the kids. I doubt the university will close down. That takes an act of God (i.e. THE RAPTURE) so I'll be locking the ol' Jeep into 4-wheel drive and going to work in the morning.

Still. I'd rather be David Johannsen, snuggled up affectionately to Sigourney, telling her how it's cold outside and we should stay indoors.

Oh well...a guy can dream, can't he?

Stay warm, my friends.

No comments: